Saturday, June 14, 2008

Webelos Day Camp

Yesterday I had Webelos Day Camp. Really the only reason I was looking forward to it was because that meant there was a week I didn't have to plan for scouts. Other than that, I kept picturing how tired I would be by the end of the day. Really didn't think about the sunburn I would be getting. The last day camp I went to was pretty much in the middle of a forest and had a lot of shade. And rain. This one had very little shade and bright sun. Russ commented that my face seemed to be getting redder as time passed. But it has seemed to mostly fade. Still slightly red.

Anyway, I planned on 5 out of 11 of my Webelos going. We were to meet at the church at 7 a.m. Just before 7:15, there were three boys there. I knew that at least one of the two who weren't there would be there because his dad was going along. They got there pretty soon after that. The other leader ended up calling the 5th boy, who ended up not going. That meant that we had enough room in my car that we didn't need anyone else to drive.

We went to Camp Fife, which is near Tremonton. None of us going had ever been there before, but luckily, I had a map with directions. I did wonder as I drove the 2 miles on a dirt road why I bothered to clean the windows of my car the night before. And I'm starting to think I'm going into a little bit more detail here than I really need to go to basically say, "Eh, camp was okay. Somewhat confusing at first and disorganized, but okay." (The parent who went has gone every year with his son and said it was the worst camp he'd been to.)

We started out the day on the zip line. Even if they had let the leaders do it, I wouldn't have. For some strange reason, I just don't see a zip line as being the best thing to do when 7 months pregnant. Nor the climbing wall we did after. I did do one boondoggle thing. We then did things to pass off the Geologist and Forester activity badges and then headed over to the archery and bb gun ranges. This is where I shook my head the most. The teenagers over archery and bb guns tended to forget to tell them to keep the things pointed down range. And at bb guns, the main one in charge refused to start even 1 minute early. Sat and stared at his cellphone until it showed the time he was supposed to start. Even though right after that we would be going to lunch, so it wouldn't be a big deal to end slightly early. Which we did anyway. And instead of letting the boys have more chances with the bb guns, they sat and fired at the cans. Kind of gave the impression of, "Time's not up yet, but you can't go and so you get to sit here and watch us shoot instead of letting you have a little more time." Everyone left anyway.

After lunch (and the boys going to the "Trading Post"), we did things to pass off the Naturalist activity badge and earn the Conservation belt loop. Then we had the closing ceremony. I actually expected a bit more from the opening and closing ceremonies. The day camp I went to before had a short program for both. This one they had one leader go get an evaluation form and then lowered the flag and said thanks for coming. Ah, well. Meant we got out a little sooner than I thought we would. Of course, the boys wanted to go back to the Trading Post again before we left. I got home at 4:00. Let's just say that I slept better last night than I have slept in a long time. Now if I can figure out how to get a neighbor kid to stop calling at 7 a.m......

No comments: