Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sometimes I think I should learn to say no....

A little over two weeks ago, the ward choir director called me up and asked me if I would be willing to sing a duet with another girl in the ward as part of our Christmas program. I sing with the choir, but really didn't expect her to call and ask me that. I guess the people she had previously asked to sing were no longer able to do it. I hemmed and hawed a little, but in the end said sure. Mostly because I can't bring myself to say no when people ask me things like that. Now if she had asked me to sing a solo, I probably would have hemmed and hawed even more and I hope I would have said no. I don't do solos. I laughed when she told me we would be singing Away In A Manger. That song had been running in my head for at least a week before she asked (and is still stuck in there).

A few days later, I came down with the cold I have previously mentioned. That worried me. I was to sing the soprano part of the duet. When I have a cold, I really can't sing all that high. And for the last verse, the music called for me to go up to a higher note. I joked that since Stacey would be down, I could always have her sing for me. The cold got better and I just have an occasional cough left and in my practicing at home found that I could hit that note. Not quite sure how good it sounded, but I could hit it nonetheless. Last week at this time the only way I could hit it is if I cleared my throat first, which doesn't really sound good in the middle of a song.

Well, today was the Christmas program. We have Sacrament meeting last in my ward, and during Sunday School I found myself getting nervous, even though we met early before church to practice some of the program. The choir sang background for the second verse of the song with loos and las. They wanted to practice that part because it wasn't quite as straightforward as it sounds. I pretty much did a solo for the practice while they did that and did fine, so I wasn't quite as nervous. Then it came time for me to sing during Sacrament meeting.

Let's just say that I'm glad my voice didn't shake as much as my hands. I should have left my music at my seat since I knew all of the words, but I wanted it in case I ended up needing it. Didn't use it, but I'm sure others could see the papers shake with my hands. Despite my nervousness, I think I did okay. A couple of people told me I sounded really nice. One said that it sounded "more beautiful with each note." So I guess it turned out fine that I didn't say no, but I still sometimes think I really should learn to say no.

No comments: