Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dentist and Other Things

Saturday night Emma started to complain that her tooth hurt. Started hurting her badly enough that Russ left our ward talent show to take her home. I knew as soon as she said her tooth hurt that I would need to take her to the dentist. When it still hurt Sunday, I really knew I would need to. So yesterday morning I called and scheduled an appointment for her for this afternoon.

I was a bit apprehensive about taking her to the dentist. She hasn't been good at the dentist and totally freaks out. This time she was perfect. I don't know if it's just because she's older or because I kept telling her that they were just going to look in her mouth and maybe take a couple of pictures of her tooth. Either way I was impressed. She even answered them when they talked to her.

After the dentist commented that the tooth she was complaining about was chipped and asked how long she's been swollen (just today is the answer to that), I remembered that she had chipped it when we were in St. George on vacation. I had told her then that I would need to take her to the dentist when we got back. And promptly forgot all about it. So I kind of feel bad that I didn't remember. Especially since her tooth has abscessed and she will have to take antibiotics and a week from today will have the tooth pulled. Poor kid.

But on a brighter note, the school psychologist called me about Emma today. Yes, having the school psychologist call you isn't usually a good thing, but this time it was. Toward the end of the school year last year, Emma's teacher asked for permission to have Emma be part of a group that would meet once a week with the school psychologist to talk about behaviors. She was having a tendency to pinch and with how shy she is, we figured it could help. It did seem to help. The school psychologist was calling to see if I would give permission for her to occasionally talk to Emma to go over some of the things they learned with the group last year. Would be like a 2 minute thing every few weeks. She then told me how much she likes Emma. Said she is cute and funny and smart. I mentioned how there are times I wonder about her and sometimes wonder if she has Asperger's Syndrome. She told me that at the start of the class she might have thought so, but the more she got to know Emma and after seeing how much Emma improved, she really thinks she's fine. Just very, very shy. Just nice to have her say that. She kept saying how much she likes Emma and said that Emma would be funny and make her laugh out loud sometimes.

No comments: