Friday, July 31, 2009

Trip to St. George

We got home yesterday after spending a few days in St. George. This was our first time staying in the new condos. They were nice. My only real complaint about them was the mouse that chose to show up the first night there. That wasn't fun at all. It liked to climb the fireplace. We did our best to chase it out and never did see it again. Going to St. George at the hottest time of the year might sound to you like a dumb idea. Does to me, too. But it really wasn't bad. We spent a lot of time at the pool. When we were in the pool, we really didn't notice how hot it was.

I'm sure driving would have been miserable if it weren't for the generosity of my parents who offered to let us take their van after learning how the air conditioning in mine really didn't work. And getting the air conditioning in mine working while we were gone. Even if it had worked in mine, I'm sure the kids enjoyed taking theirs more. Mine doesn't have air conditioning in the back so it gets hot back there.

Anyway, here are a bunch of pictures from our trip. This first one is of the view off the back of the condo. I believe those rocks are called Razor Ridge. Could be wrong there.

This is a view of the front of the condo as we were heading off to the pool the first time.
Here are a couple of pictures while we were at the pool.


Russ kept taking the kids through the waterfall at the pool. Dylan and Lyssa hated it.
Molly at the putting green by the pool. Cracked me up that they didn't have any putters. Just irons.
We like to hike at the Red Cliffs while we are in St. George. This time we managed to go there just after we had checked out before we headed home. It was very hot. Really was the only time that we noticed just how hot it was. This first picture is a family group we managed to take. Didn't turn out too bad for setting the timer and then running in to my place before the picture was taken.
The kids really wanted to do a goofy face picture.
This picture made me chuckle. Dylan really, really wanted a drink. Didn't want to let Russ get a drink.
The kids by a tree stump. The kids said the tree looked like a dinosaur.
Molly asked me in this one if she could sit and play in the shade here for a minute. I think she just wanted to sit for a minute. It wasn't much past this point where we came across some people who were rappelling down the cliffs. The girls got scared for a minute until we convinced them that they didn't have to do that.
Every time we have gone, the kids have managed to find frogs. They remembered this from the last time and searched until they found some. There were quite a lot. They caught one. Here Jimmy is holding it.
The kids were scared to try to get up the side of the rock on their own so Russ had them climb on his back and carried them each up. Getting down was a little harder. In the spring the stream is high (and is during rainstorms too) so it's harder to get up there. You can see in this picture where the water usually flows. Below it is a pool that always has some water in it. It's here that the frogs are usually found.
I think the kids were most happy to get back to the air conditioned car after hiking. And the cooler full of ice. I will admit, I was glad to get back to it as well.

As we were leaving, Emma asked why we don't go to St. George more often. I'll take that as meaning they all had fun. I know I did.

1 comment:

carolyn q said...

It looks like your trip was a blast! I don't think I would have liked seeing a mouse either. . .eeewww!
I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you guys as today is Dylan's 1st Birthday. I am sure as you look back past this first year of his life, it seems like a dream and at other times a nightmare in all he has had to deal with. He is so lucky to have such an amazing family. I really hope that he has an amazing special day!
(HUGS)