Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day Part 1

I say "Part 1" because I have a lot of pictures I could put on. Once I get them all onto my computer, which I haven't done. And because there are so many, it's easier to break it into two posts. Besides that, the day could easily be divided into two parts. Part 1 consists of stuff done with neighbors and part 2 of stuff done with family. Not that I really need to explain why I'm doing it in two parts.

The past few years, we have been invited to watch the parade and then eat with some neighbors who live right on the parade route. Not quite sure how, but we were lucky enough to find ourselves getting invited. I think the kids almost look forward to the stuff at their house after the parade more than the parade itself. I think a large part of that is due to the zip line they have in their back yard. There is usually nearly a steady line of kids waiting for their turn. Earlier in the week I thought of a watermelon cake I made a couple years ago for a block party. I thought that it would be fun to make it for the festivities after the parade this year. (Later when I was at the store, I could not remember at all why I wanted to make the cake, but bought the stuff for it just in case I remembered. When I got home Russ asked me what I was planning on bringing. Made me glad I bought the stuff anyway.) The last time I made it, I used a smaller cake board so could only fit three of the quarter pieces along with the big round one. I finished decorating the cakes Friday evening. Saturday morning I looked at all the extra space on the board and decided it needed a few things and since I had some gumpaste already made, I quickly made a few ants and the checkered napkin and fork. The ants went quickly when it was time to eat. Jimmy had fun teasing a friend and telling him after he took a bite of one that it was actually clay. The napkin, ants and fork are the only things made with the gumpaste. The rest is just buttercream frosting and black piping gel for the seeds. The piping gel was used instead of frosting because I was being lazy and had a little bit left in a tube and didn't feel like hunting for my parchment paper decorator's bags to use more buttercream for the seeds. I will admit, though, that it took me longer to frost the cakes than I planned. Mostly because I took the time to really smooth out the frosting.

Last year we showed up to the parade just a few minutes before it started. This year we decided to get there a little bit earlier. I think mostly because Russ wanted extra time before the parade started to play with the water guns. The parade that is held every year is a water parade. They have the typical floats and such and then a little space to give the people who really don't want to get wet time to (quickly) leave and then come a few floats and fire engines that spray water all along the parade route. Many people bring water guns to spray those in the floats and along the route as well. Russ happened to have the camera at that point, so I didn't get any pictures. He, Jimmy, and Lyssa got quite wet. And loved every minute of it.

Anyway, this is a picture of the girls as they were waiting for the parade to start. Yes, they are looking for bugs. The weather was actually perfect for the parade. It was overcast during the parade itself so it didn't get real hot. Once the parade (including the water fight part) was over, the sun came out. Perfect timing to dry out those who got really wet. It stayed clear the rest of the day, which was nice for the fireworks later (which I will mention in part 2).
This is Jimmy with one of his friends as they are killing time waiting for the parade to start. Those camp chairs are ours. I have no idea why we bother taking them. We don't use them much. Okay, one might be good. Dylan fell asleep during the parade and I sat in one holding him. But the family whose house we were at provided a bunch of folding chairs so they really weren't needed. I'll try to remember that if we get invited again next year.
Emma, Lyssa and Jimmy watching the start of the parade.
Molly was a little nervous and didn't want to be right at the front at first. Which is why she has a little bit of a sad look on her face. I got her over that by telling her I would stand with her. Which I did. Until Dylan wanted me and got really sleepy. Then Russ stood with them.
After the food, the family provided a craft for the kids and even had a couple of pinatas.
Emma really enjoyed making hers. It was supposed to be a zipper pull. She turned hers into a bracelet instead.
Russ and Emma.
Jimmy waiting for a turn on the zip line. He thinks he needs to make a face at the camera lately.
Lys wanted her picture taken on this tree. Yes, she's waving at me in the picture. Molly decided to get in there too. Don't know how many times that day we had to fix her hair. Just did not want to stay pulled back.

1 comment:

Monica said...

That is nice of your neighbors to invite you over for the morning to see the parade with them. I also love how your parade does a water fight! I'm glad that you all had a wonderful time.