Friday, March 25, 2011

Happy (Belated) Birthday Jimmy!

Last week was Jimmy's 12th birthday.  Usually birthday parties bring a little bit of stress into my life.  Mostly in the part of figuring out what we are going to do for the parties.  This year Jimmy's party was a breeze on my side.  Jimmy did all the planning and made the invitations and passed them out.  He asked me if I could make a cake to look like an Xbox console.  I figured it sounded easy enough, but Rachel had been sick with RSV and wasn't often happy when I wasn't the one holding her.  Made for a kind of rushed job on the cake, so it wasn't as clean as I could have made it otherwise.  But all in all, I was happy how it turned out.  Jimmy said it wasn't as good as the turkey cake I made several years ago, but he was happy with it too.  I think this one probably tasted better than that turkey cake.  Just because I used a from scratch recipe instead of a boxed cake mix.

Jimmy had his party the day before his birthday and that night went to his grandparent's for a birthday sleepover.  He had told his friends that all he wanted was cash.  Even told my mom that instead of the usual candy box for birthdays that he wanted money instead.  With the money he got from his friends, his grandparents and us, he bought himself a digital camera and a small video camera and a tripod.  Not surprisingly, he informed me yesterday that he is now the historian in his scout troop.

After he came home from his birthday sleepover, I took him shopping and bought him a suit since he would be ordained a deacon the next day.  Still strange to think that I have a son in the Young Men's group now instead of Primary.

Anyway, here's a picture of his cake and one taken during his party.  Some of the candles on the cake were the kind where the flame is the same color as the candle, the rest were the trick candles.  Really was funny watching him with the trick candles.

No comments: